Thanksgiving Is Ruined

The Personal is Political. The Political is Personal.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
March 30, 2012
 
in praise of debt

from Urquhart's Rabelais' Third Book:

Be still indebted to somebody or other, that there may be somebody always to pray for you, that the giver of all good things may grant unto you a blessed, long, and prosperous life; fearing, if fortune should deal crossly with you, that it might be his chance to come short of being paid by you . . .

You can hardly imagine how glad I am, when every morning I perceive myself environed and surrounded with brigades of creditors -- humble, fawning, and full of their reverences. . . .

These are my flatterers, my soothers, my clawbacks, my smoothers, my parasites, my saluters, my givers of good-morrows, and perpetual orators.

[source here]


[Ce sont mes candidatz, mes parasites, mes salüeurs, mes diseurs de bons jours, mes orateurs perpetuelz. (source here)]


The rest of Rabelais' surrounding chapters is similarly hilarious.

Above = found through researching a passing reference in Romain Menini article here.