Thanksgiving Is Ruined

The Personal is Political. The Political is Personal.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
November 29, 2004
 
burp. good turkey.

"This hypocrisy, this indifference, this country, my own self, were no longer bearable to me.

All these people in the streets, in open agreement or battered into a stupid submission -- they were all murderers, all guilty. Me, too. 'I'm French.' The words scalded my throat like an admission of hideous deformity.

For millions of men and women, old people and children, I was just one of the people who were torturing them, burning them, machine-gunning them, slashing their throats. I deserved their hatred because I could still sleep, write, enjoy a walk or a book."
Who's the party-pooper?

Why it's Simone de Beauvoir, remembering the Algerian War, in volume 2 of her autobiography, Force of Circumstance.
(quoted in Axel Madsen's 1977 Hearts and Minds: The Common Journey of Simone de Beauvoir and Jean-Paul Sartre)