Thanksgiving Is Ruined

The Personal is Political. The Political is Personal.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
April 12, 2006
 
America's Favorite Ongoing Conversations

Today's installment: The Limits of Pluralism

Topic question: What if my religion requires me?


"What if my religion requires me to kill you because of your lifestyle, in order for me to be faithful to its teachings?"

"What if my religion requires me to kill the infidels? Will you impose your rules over my 'religious freedom'?"

"What if my religion requires me to break into people's houses and praying there? Should I be allowed to?"

"What if my religion requires me to own slaves?"

"What if my religion requires me to fast, but there is a chess tournament the same weekend?"

"What if my religion requires me to tell dirty jokes, sanctioning sex as the holiest of holy states and expression of God's gift of life?"

"What if my religion requires me to wear underwear on the outside of my pants, and another pair on my head? Do I get special treatment too because it's my 'religion'?"



Prolegomena towards an answer:

Christian Rights in the Workplace

Americans United for Separation of Church and State

First Amendment Center


The above half ridiculous/tongue-in-cheek fact gathering inspired by this L.A. Times article ("Christians Sue for Right Not to Tolerate Policies").