Thanksgiving Is Ruined

The Personal is Political. The Political is Personal.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
November 01, 2007
 
"the idiolect indeed becomes the sole linguistic reality"
                                                                                               (.pdf)

There was a bewildering assortment of false starts and incomplete sentences for the mind only. I no sooner thought of something to say to myself than I forgot it, and I was lucky to get beyond the second or third imagined word. . . .

Milling around me there are all sorts of verbal alternatives both nonsensical and full of meaning . . .

I think I can see past gobbledygook to a pure and vivid English, instead of starting every sentence five or six times, writing sentences that lose heart halfway through in a futile clutter of grossly amalgamated syllables.


Paul West's post-stroke, aphasic memoir, The Shadow Factory, apparently will appear in approx. 6 months.

Part of it, the astounding & mesmerizing "Mem, Mem, Mem"                                                                                              [?]

                -- from which the above excerpt comes --
is here.

Oddly, it may be the first/most "normal"-sounding piece of writing ever to appear. Read it and everything else will sound "off" for a while.