Thanksgiving Is Ruined

The Personal is Political. The Political is Personal.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
March 31, 2018
 
our smarter self is more easily bored with itself



Chris Kraus, writing on her recent biographical subject, Kathy Acker, in the Guardian, last autumn: 


Arriving in the East Village from New Zealand in the late 1970s, I read Acker’s books as if a bolder and more intelligent part of myself had written them. . . Or, as William Burroughs put it more elegantly: "Acker gives her work the power to mirror the reader’s soul." How does she do this? 

as per here




If Acker's writing mirrors the reader's soul, Fran Lebowitz's conversation may mirror the reader's brain.  From the same newspaper, this month:

"It’s a shocking thing to realise people love their hatred more than they care about their own actual lives. The hatred  --  what is that about? It’s a fear of your own weakness."
"I do feel that this very young generation  --  people who are teenagers today and in their 20s  --  are so much better than the generation right above, people who are in their 40s. . . .  when these new young people started coming up, I was pleasantly surprised. I mean  -- they read books. When I am on the subway and I see a person reading a book, they will be 24, and the person on the Kindle is 44." 
"I don’t really think about myself any more. It’s one of the upsides about getting old. I’ve lost interest."