Thanksgiving Is Ruined

The Personal is Political. The Political is Personal.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
March 31, 2022
 

 

A and Not-A go mountaineering




A:  Hopefully this is the last time, Not-A, that you and I will ever go mountaineering together.  What an ill-fated adventure.  Our ropes snapped and we fell 7 metres.  Now, had we not landed safely, here on this tree branch, we would have fallen another 700 metres onto the rocks below to certain death.



Not-A:  I hate you.



A:  Be that as it may, I have sent a distress call to the rescue crew.  Their helicopter should be here shortly and we will be saved.



Not-A:  Here is my pocket saw.  



A:  Yes, I can see that.  What are you going to do with it?



Not-A:  I am going to saw away this entire tree branch.



A:  Please don't do that.



Not-A:  You sound opposed to the idea.



A:  Yes, I am opposed to the idea!  Because it is a terrible idea.



Not-A: You sound very, very opposed to the idea.  Therefore I like the idea much more. 



[Not-A begins to saw away at the tree branch.]



A:  If you saw away this tree branch on which we are both sitting, you and I will fall to oblivion.



Not-A:  You sound firmly, implacably opposed to the idea.  Somehow I find that the more you try to convince me that I am wrong about it, the more convinced I become that there must be a way in which it is exactly the right thing to do. 



[Not-A continues to saw away at the branch.]



A:  You are insane!  I am willing to physically fight you unless you stop what you are doing this instant!



Not-A:  Aha! I knew it! You have proven me absolutely right! 



[The branch is nearly sawn away.]



A:  Fine!  Enough!  I can't take it any more!  I have changed my mind!  That's it for me with this life!  Keep sawing!  Just get it over with quickly!  



Not-A:  You sound like you agree with what I am doing. 



[Not-A stops sawing.]



A:  Yes!  I agree!  Please keep going!  End it all!  Plunge us to our dooms!  Goodbye!  Goodbye to everything!  Just let this madness end!



[Not-A throws away the saw.]



Not-A:   Look!  Here is the  helicopter!  The rescue basket has been lowered right next to us!   



[A pause]



Not-A:  Will you climb in with me?