Thanksgiving Is Ruined

The Personal is Political. The Political is Personal.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
September 30, 2022
 

 


Invertebrates discuss geometry



Ant:  Here I am, ant-ing my way along the ground, and I've hit an obstacle which blocks my path.  How do I make sense of this problem?  Well, first question: What shape is the obstacle that I see before me?  This will help determine my solution.  Answer: It is a long, straight line with two end points.  There is a dyadic relationship going on here.  Therefore the solution must be one dimensional. That's how I will think about it as I envision what I can and can't do next.  



Worm:  Wrong!  I am underground, beneath the shape, looking up at it.  It is a triangle.  There is not one straight line, but three sides, and three points.  Lift your gaze, lowly ant!  You see only one edge of it.  There is a triadic relationship going on here.  The solution must be two-dimensional.



Spider:  Incorrect, both of you!  I am hanging by a thread, above the shape, looking down on it.  It is a tetrahedron, or a triangular pyramid.  It is resting on the ground, you dummies!  One of you sees only an edge, and the other sees only the base.  In fact, there are four, triangle-shaped sides, and four points.  So there is a quadratic relationship going on here.  What are you, blind?  The solution is three dimensional.



Slug:  Wrong, all of you!  I have shlurmed my way to the very top of the pyramid.  At its apex is a single, sharp point.  And now I am stuck on it!  From my perspective and as far as I am concerned, there is very monadic relationship going on here.   And it is very uncomfortable!  The solution has zero dimensions!  Just get me down from here!